Music faculty showcase Oct. 20
Henderson State University’s music faculty will put their talents on display at the HSU Faculty Showcase Oct. 20. Instrumentalists and vocalists will perform solo and chamber works by a variety of well-known composers.
The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Russell Fine Arts recital hall. Admission is free and open to the public.
Henderson’s Faculty Woodwind Quartet will open the performance with “Allegro moderato” from Concerto No. 2 after Vivaldi, S. 593. The quintet includes: Jennifer Amox, flute; Shannon Clardy, oboe; Steve Becraft, clarinet; Amy Laursen, horn; and Maralyn Sommer, bassoon.
The program includes:
• William L. Higgins, baritone, accompanied by May Tsao-Lim on piano, performing “Epouse quelque brave fille” from Manon by Johann Sebastian Bach, arranged by Mordechai Rechtman
• Margaret Jones, violin, and Phillip Schroeder, piano, performing an original work by Schroeder entitled “Nocturne”
• Jamie Lipton, euphonium, and May Tsao-Lim, piano, performing “Fantasy Variations” by Yasuhide Ito
• David Evans, clarinet, and Hee-Kyung Juhn, piano, performing “Six Studies in English Folk Song” by Ralph Vaughan Williams
• Laura Storm, soprano, and Hee-Kyung Juhn, piano, performing “Winter Song” from Where the Music Comes From by Lee Hoiby
• Algimantas Staskevicius, violin, Hee-Kyung Juhn, piano, performing “Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso, Op. 28” by Camille Saint-Saens
• Jennifer Amox, flute; Amy Laursen, horn; and May Tsao-Lim, piano, performing “Pastoral” from Ballade, Pastoral and Dance by Eric Ewazen
• Margaret Jones, violin; Steve Becraft, clarinet; and Hee-Kyung Juhn, piano, performing “Sebes” from Contrasts for Violin, Clarinet, and Piano by Bela Bartok
• Rick Diamond, piano, and Bill Higgins, piano, performing “Little Girl Blue” by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart
• HSU Faculty Brass Quintet: Jim Buckner, trumpet; Abbie Brown, trumpet; Amy Laursen, horn; Jamie Lipton, euphonium; and Todd Cranson, tuba, performing “Grosses Finale” from Kinderzirkus, Op. 17b by Jan Koetsier