Henderson State University will celebrate homecoming beginning Oct. 15, culminating Oct. 20 with the crowning of the 2018 homecoming queen and a key conference football game against Southeastern Oklahoma.
The 2018 theme is “Always Reddie.”
A highlight of homecoming week will be a Reddies Homecoming Block Party on Friday, Oct. 19, in downtown Arkadelphia. Free entertainment will include the Diamond Empire Band. Food trucks and drinks will also be available. The events begin at 7 p.m. at Slim & Shorty’s on Clinton Street between Sixth and Seventh streets.
“The Office of Development and Alumni invites everyone to Henderson’s homecoming activities,” said Leah Sexton, director of alumni engagement. “It will be a week full of exciting events for students, alumni, and friends of the university.”
Sexton said the homecoming block party is free and open to the public. Guests can purchase VIP tickets for $25 that will include a homecoming T-shirt, two drink tokens, and heavy hor’dourves.
A 5th Quarter Party will be held after the game on Saturday. For $15, guests will enjoy a meal, appetizer, drink, and an alumni gift.
“We hope everyone can tailgate and make it to the game to cheer on the Reddies,” Sexton said. “We’re excited for this year’s activities, and we are looking forward to welcoming back Reddies for homecoming.”
Homecoming events include:
Monday, Oct. 15
- Turn Up for Tip-Off (basketball), 9 p.m., Wells Center
Tuesday, Oct. 16
- Henderson’s Got Talent Finale, 7 p.m., Arkansas Hall
Wednesday, Oct. 17
- Cardboard Boat Regatta, 5:30 p.m., Wells swimming pool
Thursday, Oct. 18
- Presentation of homecoming queen candidates, 7 p.m., Arkansas Hall
- Bonfire and Pep Rally, 7:30 p.m., behind Caplinger Airway Science Center.
- Homecoming queen candidate presentation followed by Top 10 announcement.
- Phi Lambda Chi Homecoming drumbeat begins immediately after pep rally
Friday, Oct. 19
- Homecoming 4-person Golf Scramble, 11 a.m., DeGray Lake Resort Golf Course
- Alpha Xi Delta Alumnae Rededication Tea Ceremony, 6-8 p.m., Garrison Center Ross Room
- Block party, 7-11 p.m. on Clinton Street between 6th and 7th streets at Slim & Shorty’s
- Black Alumni Chapter banquet, 6:30 p.m., Garrison Center Grand Ballroom
- Alumni mixer hosted by Black Alumni Chapter, 9 p.m., Community Family Enrichment Center
- Alumni Social featuring DJ Whiskey at 8:30 p.m. at the Community Family Enrichment Center, 301 N. 23rd St.
Saturday, Oct. 20
- ROTC Coffee and Donut open house, 9-11 a.m., Harvey House
- Golden Reddie Brunch, 10 a.m., Garrison Center Banquet Room
- Alpha Sigma Tau tailgate, 10 a.m., Duke Wells Complex
- Theta Eta brunch, 10 a.m. (email firstname.lastname@example.org for info)
- Mathematics & Statistics Alumni Reception, 11 a.m.-noon, Evans Hall 102
- Pre-Game Homecoming Tailgate, 11 a.m., Wells Complex
- Alpha Xi Delta Balloon Release, 1:50 p.m., Carpenter-Haygood Stadium
- Homecoming Football Game, 2 p.m., Carpenter-Haygood Stadium
- 5th Quarter Alumni Party, 6 p.m., at 67 Grill on Main Street
- Greek Stroll-Off, immediately after the game in Arkansas Hall
- Alumni Social hosted by Black Alumni Chapter, 9 p.m., Community Family Enrichment Center
Sunday, Oct. 21
- Angelic Voices of Christ, 11 a.m., Greater Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
For more details about Henderson homecoming, go to hsu.edu/alumni/homecoming.html.